Humans have used essential oils for thousands of years to enhance their lives in various ways; from cosmetic and dietary uses to religious and spiritual purposes. Here at ORÍKÌ, essential oils are at the vanguard of bringing an age-old tradition to its customers to enhance their skin to achieve the ideal state.
Many of us have heard of the word ‘essential oil’. We have some vague notion of what they are but do we really know what they are and how there are made? Essential oils are usually distilled from the ‘essence’ of a plant’s fragrance; usually from the leaves, wood, petals, buds, barks, roots and needles of aromatic plants like cedarwood and peppermint.
My Top Essential Oils for Skin Care:
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca): My favourite essential oil ever. I’m never without a bottle of this gem. The benefits of tea tree oil are countless. However, for people with acne-prone skin like me, the antimicrobial and antibacterial properties go a long way towards controlling acne and preventing further breakouts. It also helps to regulate oil production (for those of us with VERY oily T-Zones!), fights and eliminates toenail fungus, soothes sores, et cetera. The list goes on and on. Even if you’re not into essential oils, tea tree is a staple.
- Cedarwood: Cedarwood oil has a great, earthy fragrance. Because it’s anti-fungal, it’s great for skin problems like eczema. Cedarwood essential oil also protects skin pores from letting in harmful microbes and dust, which makes it ideal for those with acne. It also helps tighten facial pores to give you a more youthful look.
- Patchouli: Patchouli essential oil is great for aging It serves as an astringent which stimulates contractions in muscles, nerves and skin. Therefore, it helps to tighten and strengthen loose and sagging skin, as well as smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, which are often considered to be signs of aging. Patchouli essential oil has a sweet scent which might be cloying to some.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil: Known as the most versatile skin oil, lavender is generally known for its pleasant fragrance and soothing properties. Lavender essential oil helps to soothe acne, aids in the treatment of eczema, detoxifies the skin, heals burns and insect bites and can be used as a toner to make skin firm.
- Frankincense: It’s used as incense in some religions and used by some spiritual people for meditation. However, Frankincense is also great for all skin types. As well as having antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it can be used as a natural toner that helps with hyperpigmentation by evening the skin tone and decreasing the appearance of pores. It is also a powerful astringent that helps to protect skin cells, it tightens skin and helps to slow down signs of aging, decrease the appearance of scars, dark spots caused by acne, stretch marks and eczema.
Disclaimer: Essential oils have a high concentration, so a little goes a long way. The list below shows my favourite essential oils for all skin types. To use essential oils topically, make sure to dilute them with carrier oils e.g. coconut oil and olive oil, or my new favourite- jojoba oil. Always carry out extensive research beforehand and don’t believe everything you see on the internet.
Have you ever tried essential oils on your skin?